In summertime, your biggest concern should be about cooking enough food for your deck party, and not how to deal with expensive utility bills, a rotted deck, or a broken appliance. The key to summer home maintenance in San Antonio is prevention. When you inspect and fix little issues, you can guard against larger, more expensive projects down the line. Here’s 3 summer home maintenance tips that help you stay on top of your house’s maintenance before bigger problems happen.
1. Make Your Home More Energy Efficient
Summer is a great time in San Antonio to increase your home’s energy efficiency so that you can keep your home cool and lower your utility bills. Begin by inspecting your windows and doors for leaks that let air in. Add weatherstripping to doors or replace brittle weatherstripping if you feel air coming through. Inspect your windows’ caulking for any cracks or missing pieces and replace it if needed.
Using energy efficient window treatments like plantation shutters can help you reduce your energy bill - and perhaps even qualify for a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters reduce the transfer of air through the glass in your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than traditional wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds which are found in many homes.
2. Brighten Up Your Decks And Patios
If you’re planning on entertaining on your patio or deck during the summer, check that it’s ready for your guests. Start by inspecting your deck or patio for safety. Look underneath to see if there are any stairs, supports, or boards that need to be replaced because they’re broken or rotting. Then stain or seal your patio and deck to give it a fresh look and shield it from the bright summer sun and rain.
Once you’ve replaced or repaired any soft boards and areas and stained your patio, it’s time to make it shine. Add interest to the windows and doors next to your porch and patio by using window treatments such as plantation shutters for your sliding door or french doors or sidelight shutters. Then make your porch or patio a haven by bringing in stylish patio furniture or a fire pit. Landscape the area around your patio or porch to bring in color.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that are broken or leak can put a stop to your fun summer activities. Here’s a few things to do to maintain your major appliances and keep them humming along:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils make your fridge work harder and raise your energy bill. It’s easy to clean and vacuum them out. Start by unplugging your refrigerator and then use the crevice tool on your vacuum (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to vacuum out the coils.
● Dishwasher. Inspect your dishwasher for any backed up water or leaks. Then deodorize and deep clean it by adding a cup of vinegar to a cycle. You’ll also want to clean out the filter (located under the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Check your washing machine hoses for any bulges, cracks, or leaks. If necessary, replace the hoses. Once a year, you should clean out your dryer hose and exterior vent or have a professional do the job.
Have A Fun Summer
By keeping on top of your home and appliances, you can enjoy a relaxing summer. If you’re interested in giving your home a beautiful look this summer with window treatments for your patios, living rooms, or kitchen, browse through our idea gallery and then give us a ring for a free in-home consultation at 210-876-0377. We’ll show you samples of all your window treatment options in San Antonio and do all the measuring and installation so you can sit back and enjoy your summer.